Monitoring And Evaluation
Monitoring & Evaluation is critical in management functions in contemporary business, NGO and government projects. Monitoring and Evaluation systems essentially focus on the systemic tracking and evaluation of organisational performance. Government, as well as business managers are increasingly challenged to account for success or failure in projects or policies design and implementation thereof in line with defined outcomes and impacts.
The Government has committed themselves to an ambitious set of development targets with clear time frames. The successful achievement of these targets and the meeting of outcome-based objectives as planned and budgeted for in terms of the Medium-Term Expenditure Framework (MTEF), require a collaborative and transparent national and provincial monitoring and evaluation system in support of sound performance management and strategic management. The building and efficient functioning of a credible and effective governmentwide monitoring and evaluation system has become an important component in the performance management system of the South African Government. Monitoring and evaluation has been identified as pivotal to the fulfilment of the “People’s Social Contract (PSC)”.
Results-based monitoring and evaluation systems provide feedback on the actual outcomes and goals of government programmes and projects. Results-based systems require answers to questions like:
- What higher-order objectives and expected outcomes has the department set?
- Have measurable outcomes and impacts been achieved?
- Are these outcomes and impacts sustainable?
The purpose of this training is to review the four stages in a monitoring and evaluation (M&E) system: planning, data collection, making data usable and using data for decision-making to help organizations reflect on and strengthen their plans.
- Upon completing this course, participants should be able to:
- Develop an understanding of monitoring & evaluation and how these tools fit into the related processes of strategic management, project management and policy implementation and legislative compliance.
- Identify and comply with Government-wide M&E framework and other related guidelines (Stats SA, Presidency indicators etc)
- Describe key M&E concepts, processes and practices
- Apply evidence-based management approach in strategic planning and making informed decisions.
- Apply problem analysis tools
- Design a results chain and work-breakdown structure and Gantt Chart
- Describe M&E indicators
- Demonstrate data collection processes and data analysis for M&E
- Set up an M&E Framework
- Identify evaluation types, concepts and tools and apply them on a day to day
Module 1: Orientation
- Module 2: Performance management
- Module 3: Overview of M & E
- Module 4: Starting the M&E Process
- Module 5: Understanding Indicators for M&E
- Module 6: Developing indicators
- Module 7: Communicating the M&E Framework
- Module 8: Implementing the M&E Framework
- Module 9: Building capacity for M&E
- Module 10: Data collection & analysis for M&E
- Module 11: Identifying data sources
Module 12: Evaluation
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 50 hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 0
- Assessments Yes